THE ORIGINAL SUPERFOODS*
Synthesized from the combination of pollen and honey within the bodies of a special group of young nurse bees, royal jelly is one of the most magical and least understood superfoods in the world. Secreted from the pharyngeal glands, royal jelly is a thick, milky substance that is the only determining factor in the development of a queen bee from an otherwise ordinary larva. Of all of the superfoods, royal jelly is definitely one of the most intriguing, both nutritionally and effectively! Consider the following:
The greater nutritional significance of Royal Jelly is the fact that the anatomical and functional differentiation of the female larvae is totally dependent upon the nature of their diet in their early development stage. In the larvae stage, they are absolutely identical and feed on Royal Jelly for the first three days after hatching. The fertilized eggs give rise to females which are either sexually immature small worker bees or large, fertile Queens. From the fourth day on, only the special larvae selected to become the Queen continues to be fed with Royal Jelly throughout her entire life, while the worker bees are fed on regular honey and pollen. The fascinating discovery by apiculturalists was that nutrition was the only distinctive difference between the worker bees and the Queen. The Queen Bee is a mother of a quarter of a million bees, and amazingly lays over 2,000 eggs in a single day, a total more than twice her own body weight. The life span of the Queen lasts four to five years, contrary to the considerably shorter life of workers—an average of 3 months or less. —Excerpted from the article “Fresh Royal Jelly” by Y.S. Royal Jelly and Honey Farm.
Throughout history, many cultures and traditions worldwide have considered royal jelly to be “the fountain of youth and beauty.” It is rejuvenating and regenerating for the body, inhibiting the aging process, maintaining skin tone, promoting sexual vitality, alleviating arthritis pain, and acting as an antidepressant, along with many other significant health benefits:
- Royal jelly is known as a rejuvenator, containing B5 and other B vitamins plus amino acids, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, andmanganese. It is also a powerful energy supplement; its stimulating effect has been compared to caffeine, without the negative side effects.
- Royal jelly is the second-richest natural source of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) and contains as much as 50 percent protein, 20 percent
carbohydrates, and 14 percent fat.
- Royal jelly is the richest source of acetylcholine, an important fluid in the regulation of nerve impulses between nerve fibers, which enhances our ability to think clearly. Royal jelly is so effective in this area that it is known to help those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Royal jelly is also extremely effective in treating glandular and hormonal imbalances, including those caused by menstrual or prostate problems. In addition to its rejuvenating effect on sight and memory loss, royal jelly aids in the fight against heart disease, including arteriosclerosis and angina.
- A study published in 1960 by the American Association for Cancer Research Inc. found that “whole royal jelly, when pre-mixed with tumor cells before inoculation, has been shown to inhibit completely the development of transplantable AKR leukemia and of three lines of mouse ascitic tumors.” This is a significant result!
To be continued…
* “Superfoods” by David Wolfe